The Douglas A-26 Invader (B-26 from 1948 to 1965) was a twin engine light attack bomber built by the Douglas Aircraft Company during WWII. It also saw service during the Cold War. A limited number of highly modified aircraft (designated A-26) served in combat until 1965.
The original production model, A-26B, debuted in August 1943. It saw its first action with the Fifth Air Force in the Southwest Pacific theater on June 23, 1944, bombing Japanese held islands near Manokwari.
The first group to fully convert to the A-26B was the 416th Bombardment Group beginning November 17, 1944 followed by the 409th Bombmardment group whose A-26s became operational in late November 1944.
The A-26 was used successfully for bombing, strafing, tactical reconnaissance and night interdiction missions.